Otočac border guards

Until 1746 there was a structure of the military frontier whose origins give follow up to 1469 when the Hungarian-Croatian king Andrew founded Senj captain which involved Gacko (from Otočac and Brinje) and the Coast from Senj to Rijeka. According to this model in the 16th century. Founded and another master's across the border to the Turks. Senj's Office had early given the name Coastal Giulia (Maritima confinia).

She had large and small captaincy due to the number of soldiers. Otocac and Senj were large office. When in 1689 the Turks finally expelled from Krbava and Lika, there have been significant changes in the structure of the military frontier. Liberated from the province Krbava and Lika (which became the liberation counties), it came in 1712 under the Karlovac Generalate. Until then, the main reason for the existence of this specific European military system was the defense. Since the beginning of the 18th century. Defense is the melting of the Turkish forces, almost ceased to exist, and military border has turned into the largest barracks that has ever existed in the world, even to this day.

It ran from the canyon all the way to the distant Transylvania in Romania. Now the main reason for its existence was cheap potrebitoj army for warfare in the interest of Austrian court across Europe. This character will remain until 1878, and until 1881 when the military border was formally united to Bansko Croatian.

Abolition of Karlovac and marine borders and two districts Krbava and Lika, under the leadership of Count Hildburgshauzena formed four infantry regiments, as follows: The island, Lika, Ogulin and Slunjska and 8 husarskih (horsemen) Company.

The island's Regiment encompassed Gacko and the northern half of Krbava, until the Turkish border with Bosnia. The headquarters of the regiment and the apartment was a colonel in the city Otocac. Otocac had and other facilities in the judiciary and Medical Practice, food supply, the punishment and other facilities as a central location. On the border of the territory covered by the Plitvice to Rudanovca. Further south was Korenicka Company within the Regiment of Lika.

The island Regiment lasted until the abolition of the military border in 1871.

Dress the island's border guards (the figure from 1756): red coat, red pants and red teležak. High cap was black, and half boots list. The shirt was blue. Rich ornaments and ribbons are gold and blue with white prekoramenim belt as a sign of recognition troops in wartime turmoil. Interestingly, the border guards on the aforementioned drawing shown with braids which are braided from temples and fall freely in front of the ears. The braids were long around the edge of the chin and the start gate. Wear braids is not an order, but border-crossing tradition from time immemorial a border of life in this region.

Effort Otočac, the former center of the regiment of Otocac, sewn replicas described uniform. I respected every detail, from the color, pattern, each ornament. Only deliberately deviated from the characters on the drops which remained indistinguishable and quite successful was replaced by the current coat of arms of Otocac.

This unit is called "The island border guard," holding that this term is most appropriate in view of the Island famous regiment. Under OTOČKA Officers thoughts on tradition Ottochanera which at the time stretched from the sea to the reclining (one would say today: from the town of Senj, Otočac, Vrhovine Municipality, Perušić Municipality and the Municipality of Plitvice Lakes).